[Nomic02] Pointer-chasing

Admiral Jota nomic02@wurb.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:51:45 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:

> > I'm still undecided about this.
>
> The intention is to turn number-references into symbolic links rather
> than hard links, to prevent having to delete-and-repropose all
> referring rules whenever a rule is amended by deletion-and-reproposal.
> A convenience, nothing more.

I think baf's concern is that it'll prevent the possibility of someone
looking at the list of rules (deleted and extant) and be able to see how
the rules used to be at a point in time, because the information of where
the pointers used to point will not longer appear there. However, given
that the web page isn't actually a part of the game, there's nothing
preventing baf from adding notes to deleted rules, mentioning which other
rules used to point to them.

Also, as a side-note, it might be useful to timestamp the listing of rules
(and rule deletions, and pointer-changes) with when they took effect, so
that it's easy to see at what point a rule was deleted.

--
                                     _/<-=    Admiral Jota    =->\_
                                      \<-= jota@shelltown.com =->/