[Nomic02] Map movement

Admiral Jota nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:11:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Carbol, Roger wrote:

> Eeeagh, I think this is awful.  I don't really see any
> advantage to it, and it looks like a bookkeeping nightmare.

The advantage would be to set up taking turns. Like in most board games,
where play proceeds from one player to the next.

> > Once per turn, the active player may move him/herself by
> > posting intention
> > to do so.
>
> I don't think I see the value in not simply letting
> anyone move whenever they feel like it.

For the converse, what is the value of simply letting anyone move whenever
they feel like it?

As for restricting movement to one's turns, the game state so far is
discrete, including the map. Some kind of formalized mechanism for
changing that state seems appropriate, particularly if the game is going
to be interesting as a game -- without restrictions on actions, actions
become less interesting.

Also, letting anyone move at any time gives an advantage to people who
happen to be available at the right time to take advantage of a certain
move -- simply by dint of having been sitting there waiting at their email
client. And further, by letting any player perform game actions like
moving at any time, it introduces the possibility of race conditions,
where two players are making moves either simultaneously, or at least
before hearing news of the other's actions.

--
                                     _/<-=    Admiral Jota    =->\_
                                      \<-= jota@shelltown.com =->/