[Nomic02] a vague attempt at summarising

Adam Biltcliffe nomic02@wurb.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:55:02 -0000

--On 15 January 2003 3:23 pm -0700 "Carbol, Roger"
<Roger.Carbol@gov.calgary.ab.ca> wrote:

> I'm of the opinion that anything referenced by the rules is
> implicity part of the game state.  Consider Rule 2 and its
> reference to 'English', for example.

This certainly doesn't fit with my idea of the state of the game: I think
it's important to draw a distinction between things that are part of the
game (which can be implicit) and things that are part of the state of the
game (which have to be formally defined).

As I understand it, the entire state of the game at the moment can be
summarised as: "Roger Carbol, Carl Muckenhoupt, Adam Biltcliffe and Admiral
Jota are playing a game with the following rules:", plus the list of rules.
That's all the information necessary to define the game in its current
state. When the rule introducing demerits comes into effect (which I think
happens in about half an hour, as I believe I was the only person who
hadn't ratified it), the number of demerits assigned to each player will
also become information necessary to define the state of the game.

jw