[Nomic02] Some rule suggestions

Carl Muckenhoupt nomic02@wurb.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:38:24 -0500 (EST)

Some of these proposals obviously depend on others, but for the most
part I'd be happy to consider them individually.

I. Rules governing rules
  A. Each rule has a number.  Rule numbers start with 1, and each
     new rule has a number 1 greater than the previously enacted rule.
  B. When two rules conflict, the rule with the greater number
     overrides the rule with the lesser number.  The rule with the
     lesser number still applies in matters where no higher-numbered
     rule applies.
  C. Rules may not be changed or removed.  The only change to the
     rule set permissable is the addition of new rules.  (Commentary:
     This depends on I.B. or some similar mechanism for resolving
     conflicts.  Also, note that with such a mechanism, this rule
     itself could be overridden by a later rule, and thus should be
     seen as only applying to normal rule-making procedures.)
  D. No rule may require any effect on anything that is not part of
     the state of the game, except by making it part of the state
     of the game.
  E. Changes to the rules do not take effect until midnight
     GMT following their adoption.  (Commentary:  I'd be happy to
     accept something else here.  I just want it to be clear exactly
     when rules go into effect.)
II. Decision making procedures
  A. To "post" something is to send it to the mailing list at
     nomic02@wurb.com.  (Commentary: At this point, the list is
     still not part of "the state of the game".  I have taken
     care to make sure that the following rules comply with
     I.D. - although posting is a big part of the game under
     these proposals, no one is ever required to post anything.)
  B. "Unanimous consent" refers to the following process:
     A player posts a proposal of a kind that the rules permit
     to be decided by unanimous consent.
     If all other players post a reply to the proposal
     indicating agreement by using the word "aye",
     the proposal goes into effect.
  C. "Passive consent" refers to the following process:
     A player posts a proposal of a kind that the rules permit
     to be decided by passive consent.
     If no player posts a reply to the proposal indicating
     disagreement by using the word "nay" within 48 hours,
     or some other period specified by the rule,
     the proposal goes into effect.
  D. "Majority rule" refers to the following process:
     A player posts a proposal of a kind that the rules permit
     to be decided by majority rule.  For the next 48 hours,
     or some other period specified by the rule, players have the
     opportunity to post a vote, either "aye" or "nay",
     and may change their vote at any time by posting the
     new vote.  The proposer is assumed to cast an "aye"
     vote until changing it.  After the voting period is over,
     the proposal goes into effect if the number of players
     voting "aye" is strictly greater than the number of
     players voting "nay".
III. Specific decision-making
  A. Rules may be added by majority rule.  (Commentary: Note that
     this only concerns adding rules, not removing or changing
     existing rules.  Rules may still be removed or changed by
     unanimous consent, unless we pass I.C.)
  B. Any person who posts a request to join the game may be
     added to the players by passive consent.  (Commentary:
     As passive consent is defined in II.C., there still has
     to be a proposal by a player.  Thus, each new player
     needs a sponsor.)
IV. Rule-breaking
  A. Whenever a player performs an action that is forbidden by
     a rule other than Rule 4, or fails to perform an action that
     is required by a rule other than Rule 4, a "demerit" may be
     assigned to that player by majority rule.  Demerits are part
     of the state of the game.
  B. Any player with three demerits will automatically be removed
     entirely from the state of the game.
  C. Demerits may not be assigned for violations of rules that
     were not part of the state of the game when the violation
     occurred.
V. Endings
  A. Any player may leave the game at any time by posting
     intention to do so.  When this happens, the player is
     removed entirely from the state of the game.
  B. It is possible for players to win or lose by means
     to be described in the rules.  A player who loses will be
     removed entirely from the state of the game, and may not
     rejoin.  If a player wins, the game will immediately end and
     all players who have not won will lose.
VI. Let's give this game some content other than itself already.
  A. The state of the game contains a map, consisting of rooms.
     The map contains a room called "the Lounge".  All players
     have a location on the map.  The Lounge is the initial
     location of every player.