[Nomic02] [P] Rock and Roll [Jota]

Dylan O'Donnell nomic02@wurb.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:54:57 +0000

Admiral Jota wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > Aye. I will however be voting nay on any proposal that involves a
> > die being rolled without saying who's rolling it, but I'll approve
> > this proposal on the same grounds as Rule 82.
>
> On the other hand, I'd be wary of a proposal that *did* say who was
> rolling it, because that runs into the previously-described problem of
> rules saying that a specific person 'must' do something.

True. Let's say, then, that I will be voting nay on any proposal
that involves an action including a random element, without stating
that it's the active player who should be rolling the die to complete
the performance of that action (and so, if he fails to do so, the action
didn't take place). If other, non-action, effects require a die-roll, then
this proposal looks a good way of handling it.

--
:  Dylan O'Donnell                     http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/  :
:   "You boil it in sawdust: you salt it in glue: /  You condense it with    :