The Initial Cult of Nomic Patterns of Worship
The Immutable Patterns
- All worshippers must abide by all patterns of worship then in
effect. The patterns in effect at the beginning of worship are the Initial
Set, Patterns 101 - 117 (immutable) and Patterns 201 - 218 (mutable).
- Initially forms of worship on the 100's are immutable and forms of
worship in the 200's mutable. Forms of worship subsequently awarded Holy
Sanction or Holy Transmutation (changed from immutable to mutable or vice
versa) may be then be either mutable or immutable regardless of their
number. Initial forms of worship may be transmuted via Holy Transmutation.
- At each time, all members of the congregation may be either a
Glorious Leader or a Faithful Follower, no worshipper may be both. There
may only be one Glorious Leader at any time. The term 'worshipper' in the
patterns of worship may refer to either the Glorious Leader or a Faithful
- The Glorious Leader for the First Great Cycle will be
- A pattern change is any of the following:
- The enactment of a new pattern of worship via Holy Sanction.
- The repeal of an old pattern of worship via Holy Destruction.
- A change in a pattern of worship via Holy Reformation.
- The transmutation of a pattern of worship via Holy Transmutation.
- Initially, all new patterns of worship are mutable.
- All changes in the Pattern of Worship properly proposed will be
sanctioned or discarded by recourse to the Democratic Wisdom of the
worshippers via voting. They will receive Holy Sanction only by majority
vote of a quorum of worshippers.
- Any proposed change to the Pattern of Worship must be posted to the
Holy Mailing List
- No Pattern of Worship shall take effect earlier than its receipt of
Holy Sanction via a majority vote, even if the new/amended Pattern
explicitly states otherwise. No Pattern shall have retrospective effects.
- The Glorious Leader shall give each proposed change to the Pattern
a number for reference. These numbers shall begin with 301 and each
successive proposal shall receive the next integer, regardless of
receiving Holy Sanction, Reformation or Transmutation. If a Pattern
receives Holy Reformation, it will take the number of the proposal to
- Propsals for Transmutation of an immutable Pattern will receive
Holy Transmutation only upon a unimous legal vote of a quorum of
worshippers. A proposal for Transmutation must be explicit, not implied
in the wording of a proposal for Reformation.
- In the event of a conflict between a mutable and immutable Pattern,
the immutable Pattern takes precedence. For the purposes of this rule, a
proposal to Tranmute an immutable rule does not conflict with this rule.
- The state that constitutes Enlightenment may not be changed from
acheiving n Tokens of Enlightenment to any other state of affairs. The
magnitude of n and the means of earning Tokens may be changed and Patterns
that establish a Recipient of Enlightenment when worship must be
discontinued may receive Holy Sanction, and whilst mutable, be Reformed or
- A worshipper always has the option to discontinue worship rather
than continue until the conclusion of the Great Cycle, or incur penalites
in their quest for Enlightenment.
- There must always be one or more mutable Pattern/s. Changes of
Patterns (constituting Sanction, Destruction, Reformation or
Transformation) must never be prohibited by the Pattern.
- Changes that affect Patterns needed to allow or imply Pattern
changes are as permitted as any other change. No Pattern change is
prohibited on the basis of self-reference or self-application.
- Whatever is not expressly Prohibited by a Pattern is permitted,
except for Changes to the Pattern, which is permitted only when a Pattern
or set of Patterns explicitly or implicitly permits it.
The Mutable Patterns:
- Quorum for a proposed Change of Pattern will be 20% of worshippers
at the beginning of the prescribed voting eriod for that change.
- All worshippers begin with 0 Tokens of Enlightenment. Tokens may
not be gained, lost or traded with other worshippers except as explicitly
permited by the Pattern.
- A worshipper receives Enlightenment if they accumulate 100
Enlightenment Tokens. If more than one worshipper acheives 100 Tokens
simultaneiously, all such worshippers receive Enlightenment. When a
worshipper has received Enlightenment, the Great Cycle ends. If the Cycle
ends in this manner:
At this time, all worshippers Enlightenment Tokens are reset to 0 and
a new Great Cycle commences, with all Patterns, and proposals of changes
retaining the status they had at the end of the last Cycle.
- If only one worshipper received Enlightenment, that worshipper
becomes the Glorious Leader.
- If more than one worshipper received Enlightenment, the Glorious
Leader chooses a replacement from among the number of the Enlightened.
- A proposal to Change the Pattern shall be made to the Glorious
Leader . As soon as possible, the Glorious Leader
will assign that proposal a number and post it to the Holy Mailing List.
- The voting period on such a proposal shall be one week commencing
from the post by the Glorious Leader to the mailing list.
- Each worshipper has exactly one vote, asside from the Glorious
Leader, who has none.
- A vote is cast by being e-mailed to the Glorious Leader. The
Glorious Leader must not reveal any votes until after that period. Any
worshipper not voting shall be deemed to have abstained.
- At the end of such period, the Glorious Leader shall reveal all
votes. If the Glorious Leader's consent is required, then they shall grant
it or refuse it at that time. Failure to do so shall constitue consent.
- The required votes for a Change in Pattern which will alter the
powers of the Glorious Leader shall be:
Otherwise a proposal must earn a simple majority of votes. This
Pattern is superseded by any Patterns specifying the number of votes for
- Two-thirds of legally voting worshippers or,
- A majority of legally voting worshippers if the Glorious Leader
- An adopted Change takes place at the moment of the completion of
the vote that authorized it.
- Worshippers who voted against an adopted change will receive 10
Tokens of Enlightenment each. Worshippers whose proposals are adopted
shall receive a number of Tokens between 1 and 15 (inclusive), as
determined by the Glorious Leader. Worshippers whose proposals are not
adopted shall lose 10 Tokens.
- If two mutable Patterns conflict, or two immutable Patterns
conflict, the Pattern with the lowest number will take precedence. If one
of the conflicting Patterns explicity states its deference to, or
supersedance of, the other Pattern, then it defers to, or supersedes the
other Pattern as stated, regardless of numbers. If both Patterns claim
deference or supercedance, than the numerical rule again governs.
- If worshippers disagree about the legality of a Change or Proposal,
one may invoke judgement simply by insisting upon it in an email
submission to the Glorious Leader. If a judgement is invoked, the Glorious
Leader must invoke a judgement as soon as possible by selecting a Judge in
accordance with the rules and distributing the identity of the judge and
the email submission to the mailing list.
- If Judgement was invoked by a worshipper, the first Judge shall be
the Glorious Leader. If Judgement was invoked by the Glorious Leader, the
first Judge shall be a worshipper other than themself chosen by them. In
all cases, if a Judge beyond the first must be chosen, they shall be
selected by the Glorious Leader, and may not be the most recent Judge or
the invoker of Judgement.
- The Judge has one week to deliver a Judgement. If they fail to do
so they shall lose 10 Tokens of Enlightenment and a new Judge shall be
selected. A Judgement is made by submitting it to the Glorious Leader who
must then deliver it the Holy Mailing List as soon as possible.
- A Judgement is either TRUE, FALSE or UNDECIDED. It may be
accompanied by reasons and argumnets - if so, they constitute no part of
the official Judgement. If they are given to the Glorious Leader, however,
they too must be distributed.
- All Judgements must be in accordance with the Pattern. If the
Pattern is silent, inconsistent or unclear, the Judge must consider the
spirit of the Pattern and custom before applying other standards.
- The Glorious Leader shall do the following if necessary:
- Recruit new worshippers.
- Maintain a list of all worshippers and their status, as
determined by their Tokens, and provide it on the website.
- Maintain a complete and correct current Pattern and make it
available on the website.
- Make a determination when required by the rules.