Subject: acka Digest V1 #84
From: [email-masked]
To: acka digest users <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 00:00:02 -0500 (EST)

acka Digest	Wednesday, December 22 1999	Volume: 01  Issue: 084

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Towsner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Acka:Vacation
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 17:23:26 -0500 (EST)

	I am leaving tomorrow for about one week.  I'll be back home
shortly, and back at Stanford on the 4th.  Once I'm there I'll be able to
take over updating the rules, at least until we can find a more permanant
volunteer.  Is anyone willing to take over as temporary Speaker for the
next week (I doubt you'll actually have to do anything).

--
Heedless of grammar, they all cried, "That's him!"
				--Thomas Ingoldsby

------------------------------

Subject: Acka: Proposal 110 accepted
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 23:08:09 -0500 (EST)

Proposal 110

Yes/No vote totals: 8-1: proposal accepted

Yes:
  else...if             (4)
  ThinMan               (2)
  IdiotBoy              (2)

No:
  Hubert                (1)

Abstain
  /dev/joe              (2)
  Calvin N Hobbes       (1)
  404 Not Found         (1)
  rufus                 (1)
  Robert Sevin          (1)
  relet                 (2)
  two-star              (1)
  null                  (3)
  Fortunato             (1)
  Malenkai              (2)
  Reductio              (1)
  3.14159...            (1)
  Heimdall              (1)
  Dragon Mage           (1)
  danek                 (1)
  Slakko                (1)
  Tyrethali             (1)
  Dan Knapp             (1)
  Xylen                 (1)
  K 2                   (1)

 Subject: Acka: Proposal 110
 
 Proposal 110
 The Squeaky Wheel...
 ThinMan
 Due: Tue Dec 21 16:56:56 1999
 Status: accepted

 Create a new rule on the Structural Sphere, numbered S2000, and titled
 "Edit Buffer," with the following text: "No provision of this rule is
 binding or has any effect, except this provision."
 
 Amend rule S2000 in the following ways:
 
 1. Append to it the full text of rule S10.
 
 2. Replace the first sentence of section I with "A Proposal is a list
    of proposed changes to the Game State, together with all associated
    implicit and explicit attributes.  Attributes include, but are not
    necessarilly limited to, title, name of submitter, dependencies,
    and conflicts."
 
 [The attributes bit makes attributes formally part of the proposal,
 which does some nice things including accounting for furniture as
 explicit attributes.]
 
 3. Append the following sentence to the body of section II: "Voting on a
    proposal constitutes a manipulation of that proposal."  [This
    prevents game state elements outside the Living Sphere from voting
    on Proposals.]
 
 4. Insert the following sentence into the body of section III,
    immediately prior to the sentence beginning with "The Speaker":
    "Rejected proposals self-destruct five seconds after leaving
    the queue."
 
 5. Replace the word "authored" with the word "submitted" in section III.
 
 [Submitter is verifiable; author is not.  For that matter, the author
 may not be just one person.]
 
 6. Replace section IV with the following GETS_THE_GREASE-delimited
    text:
 
 GETS_THE_GREASE
 As soon as a Proposal is activated, it is evaluated with respect to each
 Sphere to which its list specifies one or more changes.  The Proposal
 immediately ceases to exist if it does not satisfy the conditions for
 modification by proposal of any of those Spheres.  If no conditions are
 specified for a Sphere then the conditions for the Sphere immediately
 inside it apply.  Then, if the proposal still exists it is transferred
 to the innermost Sphere to which it lists a change, and it attempts to
 perform each change on its list, in order, one at a time.  If a Proposal
 lists a rule creation without specifying the location then it is treated
 as if it specified the Structural Sphere for that rule.  If a proposal
 lists the creation of a non-rule game state element without specifying
 the location then it is treated as if it specified the Living Sphere for
 that element.  After a Proposal has attempted to make all of the changes
 on its list, that Proposal ceases to exist.
 
 Players are strongly encouraged to place all changes to a single 
 Sphere together in eir proposals and to clearly mark them.
 GETS_THE_GREASE
 
 [The biggest change here is a paradigm shift -- or perhaps just a
 paradigm clarification -- which now has the Proposal attempting to
 perform the changes it specifies.  Previously they just happened
 automagically.  This also gets around the null and without effect
 bit that caused so much confusion by simply destroying the proposal
 before it does anything if it's not supposed to do anything.]
 
 7. Append the following text to the end of the rule: "All existing
 proposals which have been removed from the queue are destroyed.  Rule
 S2000 is repealed.  After the previous two sentences take effect,
 they are deleted from this rule along with this sentence." 
 [Clean up all that clutter!]

 Amend Rule S12 by replacing the text of section VII with: "Proposals
 are ownable thingies, initially owned by their submitter."
 
 Amend rule S10 by replacing its full text with the full text, except the
 first sentence, of rule S2000.

------------------------------

End of acka Digest V1 #84
*************************